My Goal, and Why...

Since I was in my very early 20's, I've been telling myself that I should exercise. The conversation usually went something like this... "Wow, Annie, you're twenty-two now. That's not so young anymore. You've been lucky that you are still in shape, but you really should think about exercising." "Yes, I should, but I have time." 

So this has gone on for thirty years with more or less the same dialogue. Which is not to say that I NEVER exercise. I enjoy yoga and have, at times, done that semi-regularly. I've occasionally done weight training with light weights. But I've never had much success with other 'regular' exercise. I don't run unless I'm being chased. The thought of a gym is horrifying.

The best success I've ever had with exercising came in the earlier 2000's when I got myself (I mean my daughter!) a Nintendo Wii. My daughter was never as thrilled with the Wii as I was. Between Wii Fit, and Dance Dance Revolution (with both the dance pad and the balance board) I actually did work out on and off for years. Not every day, but I would always come back to it eventually. Until disaster struck.... Nintendo stopped making and supporting the Wii and I needed to find another option.

Long story short in August of 2020, I bought an Oculus Quest. I immediately saw the use of it as a workout device. From August through December I tried many active 'games' on the Oculus, including: Beat Saber, FitXR, AudioTrip, OhShape, and SynthRiders. I liked them all, some more than others, but all were limited to some extent. 

I had been eyeing an Oculus app called Supernatural, but it was a subscription, not a one-off payment, and I was not sure I wanted to go down that road. So before I tried Supernatural, I tried the others. By the end of 2020, I was ready to give Supernatural a shot, and decided to take the company up on its 30-day free trial starting on 1/1/21. 

My goal: To exercise every day in 2021. Why? 

  1. to see if it will change me in any way, 
  2. to see if I have the staying power to stick with something that long, 
  3. to improve my cardio function and strength. 

Will I make it? Let's find out....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog